We are all so incredibly blessed to have access to an unlimited supply of clean water every single day. A situation in which drinkable water is unavailable is truly unfathomable for us… But unfortunately it is a very real and deadly reality for more people than you might think.
Over 650 million people do not have proper access to a good water source—that’s 1 in 9 people in the world. A United Nations publication, “Safe Water as the Key to Global Health,” states: “No other single intervention is more likely to have a significant impact on global poverty than the provision of safe water.”
Charity is one of the most important parts of my life. In November 2019, I will complete multiple athletic challenges in Peru to fundraise for water projects in Africa. Visit https://give.irusa.org/mar to donate. Together, we can bring clean water to an entire village in Africa!
Islamic Relief is a charitable organization that funds charitable projects for people of all faiths throughout the globe. Eighty attendees on the Peru trip will include representation from the U.S., U.K., Spain, Italy and South Africa.
The challenge includes:
• a 3 hour, 55k bicycle ride from Cusco to Huamanmarca
• a 19k trek from Santa Maria to Santa Teresa, including part of the Inca Trail
• a 10k trek in Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary
Did you know?
• $100 can help provide clean water to someone in need
• $700 can give access to fresh water for a family
• $2,500 can help fund a solar-panel well for a village